Black Dog documentary research dossier


Primary research
Primary research is data that has been collected and processed first hand. Examples of this include things like surveys, questionnaires and interviews.
For my primary research, I conducted research for my documentary project on the locals of the town in which the Black Dog was first seen, to receive a clear and accurate account of the context and details of the sightings.
 An example of the primary research I conducted for my documentary was interviewing a family friend called Pete who lives in Bungay and is knowledgeable of British Folklore. Another example primary research I did was interviewing my Dad who has lived in the Beccles Bungay area for a long time and is very familiar with the tales of the Black dog.     Secondary research

Secondary research is research that has been already collected.The black dog of Bungay has been a popular part of British folklore since 1577, having there been many supposed sightings of the dog and it was believed that it was an apparition of the devil in disguise. Due to the amount of sightings and different accounts of the dog, the details to its appearance are varied. Some accounts of the dog have specified that the dog was the size of a small horse.

My first lot of secondary research came from Bungay’s official website (the black dog of Bungay legend). Here, I found a history about the black dog of Bungay and also some facts and information I didn’t already know.     What I found:


  • St Mary's Church still attracts many visitors who come to see where this strange event took place
  • The Black Dog Running Club, Black Dog Marathon, Black Dog Antiques and the Black Dogs is the name of Bungay Town Football Club are all named after this legend.
  • The Black Dog is sometimes associated with Black Shuck, another spectral hound which haunts the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts.
On this site I also found an old verse which explains the events of that night in 1577, August 4th. 'All down the church in midst of fire, the hellish monster flew and, passing onward to the quire, he many people slew'. This is good evidence as it was closer to the time it happened.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3MW Proposal